Sunday, January 12, 2014

Learning More than One Language

I knew this year would be filled with new challenges and experiences. However, before I left I was only thinking of how incredible this year will be and seemed to just dismiss the fact that there actually will be some difficulties. I was blinded by my excitement and I quickly realized once I arrived there were some challenges to overcome.The biggest challenge  arrived right when I stepped off the plane and it was the fact that I didn't know the language. I obviously recognized this beforehand but I guess I just assumed I would just magically absorb it throughout the year. Little did I know that being completely surrounded by non-English speakers every hour of every day may be the toughest challenge I have ever undertaken. It definitely takes a toll on your brain. It's not uncommon for me to lie awake at night mumbling common Turkish phrases, or to forget simple English words. For instance, I spent about 30 minutes one day trying to recall what a bottle cap was in English. The worst is the wave of fatigue that hits me at night when my Turkish brain turns off. This can be especially tough because Turkish families generally talk and drink tea late into the night. Some may think one who stares at bottle caps and talks to themselves may be mentally insane, however I assure you: they are probably just immersed in a foreign language.

Denizli Local Newspaper Headline
Although when I decided to join my community's traditional dance group I had no idea it would be like learning an additional language. Unfortunately, as I grew up I tended to distance myself from the arts. I've always been on the baseball field rather than the stage. So when I found out about this dance class through my parents I knew it was a ludicrous idea for me considering I have zero experience in the field of dance. But of course I jumped on it, because that's why I am here: to broaden my boundaries. So I fell right into it and as expected I had no idea what I was doing. These foreign movements to foreign music with directions in a foreign language were almost near impossible to deal with. I started realizing that I was having the same difficulties that I have with learning and speaking Turkish. For instance, a lot of the time I forget about what my arms are doing and only focus on my legs which causes everyone to stop and stare at me. It occurred to me that this is the same stare I get when I mix up the words "Aunt" and "rug" in school.

Learning from the Saz Master
The third and most difficult language I find myself learning this year is the language of Turkish music. The last time I played an instrument I was eight years old and running away from my piano teacher's house. I've always had a great appreciation for traditional music, and I just assumed it was for me to listen to not to make. So when presented with the opportunity to take saz lessons (an ancient Turkish string instrument) I was pretty apprehensive. However throughout this year I've developed a motto that can apply to all the different cultural situations I find myself in. For instance, when handed cow stomach soup complimented with pickle juice as the beverage, you just gotta shrug your shoulders and say why not. I treated this situation in the same way and dove right in. Understanding the oriental beats and rhythms is no different than learning Turkish or traditional dance. So when my saz teacher tells me to relax my fıngers (which is impossible to do) it is no different than trying to pronounce Turkish words like "muvakaffassızlaştıramadakilarımız."

The beauty of being here is that I have the opportunities to explore different areas of learning that I never would have in America. This year is fostering new life long interests and the wider range of interests I develop while here the more I learn about myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment